St Kilda Post Office
n.d. Photographer unknown
Here the women and children gather around the door to the St Kilda Post Office, hoping to receive mail from family and friends on the mainland. The Post Office was officially established on 20th September 1899, and situated on the ground floor of the factor's house. Later the purpose built wood and corrugated iron hut seen above was constructed. The service was reliable only during the summer months and the island remained cut off for nine months of the year. As well as being a focus for the islanders as a source of news, the Post Office was also a focus for visitors who sent many postcards with the St Kilda postmark.